High-risk Pregnancy Hospital in Gurgaon
A pregnancy is considered high-risk when there are potential complications that could affect the mother, the baby, or both. High-risk pregnancies require management by a specialist to help ensure the best outcome for the mother and baby. Sometimes a high-risk pregnancy is the result of a medical condition present before pregnancy. In other cases, a medical condition that develops during pregnancy may cause the pregnancy to become high risk.
Following are the factors that contribute to a high risk pregnancy
- Maternal age above 35 years or below 18years
- Pre-existing maternal co-morbidities like high BP, Heart disease, Diabetes, Obesity etc.
- History of premature births/eclampsia/Hypertension in earlier pregnancies
- RH negative mother
- Pregnancy-induced risks- Multiple Pregnancies(twins/triplets), Gestational diabetes, Hypertension, Placenta Previa etc.
A critical part of managing high risk pregnancies is to ascertain the cause and possible complication. Management of high risk pregnancies depends on women specific risk factors. Early detection and effective management of high-risk pregnancy can contribute substantially in reducing maternal and foetal adverse outcomes.
Following warning signs require immediate visit to your doctor:
- Reduced foetal movements
- Bleeding/discharge from the vagina
- Pain in abdomen
- Headache, blurring of vision
- Generalised swelling of body or puffiness of face
- Breathlessness at rest
Depending on the circumstances obstetrician would conduct some specialised tests which are not routinely conducted in low risk cases. They can be blood tests, specialised ultrasound scans,genetic counselling,amniocentesis, chorionic villi sampling etc.