High Risk Pregnancy
A pregnancy is considered high-risk when there are potential complications that could affect the mother, the baby, or both. High-risk pregnancies require management by a specialist to help ensure the best outcome for the mother and baby. Sometimes a high-risk pregnancy is the result of a medical condition present before pregnancy. In other cases, a medical condition that develops during pregnancy may cause the pregnancy to become high risk.
Following are the factors that contribute to a high risk pregnancy
- Maternal age above 35 years or below 18years
- Pre-existing maternal co-morbidities like high BP, Heart disease, Diabetes, Obesity etc.
- History of premature births/eclampsia/Hypertension in earlier pregnancies
- RH negative mother
- Pregnancy-induced risks- Multiple Pregnancies(twins/triplets), Gestational diabetes, Hypertension, Placenta Previa etc.
A critical part of managing high risk pregnancies is to ascertain the cause and possible complication. Management of high risk pregnancies depends on women specific risk factors. Early detection and effective management of high-risk pregnancy can contribute substantially in reducing maternal and foetal adverse outcomes.
Following warning signs require immediate visit to your doctor:
- Reduced foetal movements
- Bleeding/discharge from the vagina
- Pain in abdomen
- Headache, blurring of vision
- Generalised swelling of body or puffiness of face
- Breathlessness at rest
Depending on the circumstances obstetrician would conduct some specialised tests which are not routinely conducted in low risk cases. They can be blood tests, specialised ultrasound scans,genetic counselling,amniocentesis, chorionic villi sampling etc.
Dr. Prachi Sarin
Dr. Joffi Chako
Dr. Joffi Chacko
(Retd. Lt.Gen.) Dr. Punita Arora
Dr. Praveen Kumar
Dr. Sadhna Sharma
Dr Nisha Aggarwal
Dr. Anjali Bugga
Dr. Sheela Gaur
Dr. Leena Yadav
Gynaecology, Obstetrics, Fertility
Dr. Saguna Shukla
Dr. Veenu Aggarwal
Dr. Neha Gupta
Dr. Nirmala Krishnan
Dr. Seema Santosh
Dr. Vijay Wali
Dr. Meenakshi Shukla
Dr. Meenu Soni
Dr. Pallavi Vasal
Dr. Priyanka Virani
Dr. Waghmare Rupali Vasantrao
Dr. Vijay Laxmi Nayar
A high-risk pregnancy is when you as well as your baby have the possibility of health issues throughout the delivery procedure. It requires exclusive monitoring and care of the mother and the baby before, during, and after the event of pregnancy.
Special gynecological assistance is required for managing such pregnancies to ensure that the mother delivers a healthy baby. High-risk pregnancy mostly occurs due to medical complications of the mother before conceiving or a condition that was developed during the process.
The contributing factors of high-risk pregnancy are:
- If the maternal age is below 18 years or above 35 years,
- Any pre-existing or existing conditions like diabetes, cardiac issues, obesity, hypertension, etc.
- Previous history of eclampsia, premature births, or hypertension in previous pregnancies
- RH negative blood group of the mother
- Multiple pregnancies, hypertension, gestational diabetes
You are likely to go through a high-risk pregnancy if you see the following symptoms. In such a case, immediately visit your gynecologist for early detection and control.
- When the fetus reduces its movement,
- Heavy pain in the abdomen,
- Feeling breathlessness while resting,
- Frequent bouts of fever,
- Blurry vision and persistent headache,
- Heavy discharge or bleeding from the vagina,
- Swelling off the face and body.
Before any of the above symptoms show up, it is recommended to consult an obstetrician/gynecologist from a reputed hospital. A gynecologist would normally ask for blood tests, genetic counseling, ultrasound scans, chorionic villi sampling, amniocentesis, or other specialized tests depending upon the case if any of the above symptoms do show up eventually.
For promoting a normal pregnancy you should stay ahead of time and book an appointment as soon as you conceive. Schedule an appointment so that you get prenatal counseling to detect any possibility of a high-risk pregnancy. At Miracles health care, we provide you with all the necessary early detection tests under one roof so that you have a healthy birthing experience.