Total Hip Replacement
Hip replacement surgery, also known as hip arthroplasty, is a surgical procedure that is used to replace the damaged hip joint with an artificial joint. The artificial hip joint is made of metal, plastic, or ceramic materials and is designed to copy the movement of the natural hip joint. relieve pain and improve function. Hip replacement surgery is typically performed in people with severe arthritis or other conditions that damage the hip joint. It is used to relieve pain, improve function, and treat fractures or deformities of the hip joint and also AVN of Hip.
There are two main types of hip replacement surgery:
- Total hip replacement:Total hip replacement is the most common type of hip replacement surgery that involves the replacement of all of the parts of the hip joint, including the ball and socket.
- Partial Hip replacement:This type of hip replacement surgery is used to replace only the broken ball(femur head)
Depending on the individual needs of the patients, the doctor decides the type of hip replacement surgery that is best for you.
Why is hip replacement surgery required?
Hip replacement surgery is required when the hip joint is chronically damaged and cannot be repaired by other treatments. The most common reason for hip replacement surgery is osteoarthritis(OA). Aside from Hip OA, here are some other conditions that can lead to hip joint replacement surgery:
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- Avascular necrosis (bone death)
- Hip fracture
- Hip dysplasia (abnormal development of the hip joint)
- Tumors of the hip joint
Here are some of the signs and symptoms that may indicate that you may need hip joint replacement surgery:
- Pain in the hip that is better with rest and worse with activity
- Stiffness in the hip joint that makes it difficult to move
- Difficulty walking and climbing stairs
- Difficulty getting in and out of a car
- Weakness in the leg
- Loss of range of motion in the hip
If you are experiencing any of the above-mentioned symptoms,then without any delay, consult the best hip replacement surgeon in Gurgaon to determine whether you are a candidate for hip replacement surgery or not.
How is hip replacement surgery done?
No matter whether it is a partial hip replacement or a total hip replacement,the damaged or diseased parts will be removed from the hip joint and replaced with artificial components.
The step-by-step procedure of hip replacement surgery:
- Hip replacement surgery is typically performed under regional anesthesia.
- The hip replacement specialist makes an incision in the hip over the front of the hip to remove the damaged bone and cartilage.
- After successful removal of the damaged part, the artificial component is inserted and attached to the bone.
- The incision is then closed.
The whole procedure of surgery typically takes about 40mins-1 hour.
How to prepare yourself for hip replacement surgery?
Hip joint replacement surgery is a major surgery.To lessen the chance of any complication during the surgical procedure and shorten the recovery time, you may need to follow some tips in consultation with your doctor to prepare yourself for hip replacement surgery.
The pre-procedure preparation tips include:
- Avoid Smoking
- Avoid Drinking Alcohol
- Lose Weight, if you are obese
- Get your blood test done
- Learn about the recovery process
- Get your physiotherapy done before undergoing a surgical procedure for the hip joint to increase mobility and strengthen the muscles.
If you have any questions regarding what to do and what not to do before undergoing the procedure of hip replacement, consult with the best doctor for hip replacement in Gurgaon.
Who is the right candidate for hip replacement surgery?
People of any age can have hip replacement surgery done, although it is commonly recommended to the patients of age group 50 years to 80 years who are experiencing significant pain, damage, and inflammation to the hip joint. Few conditions like JRA,hip dysplasia, AVN affect younger people and they have to hip replaced at young.
When deciding whether you are the right candidate for total hip replacement or partial hip replacement, the doctor evaluates the level of pain and severity of damage you are experiencing.
What are the advantages of hip replacement surgery?
Hip replacement surgery is one of the most successful joint replacement surgeries that has several advantages including:
- Pain relief
- Improved hip functions
- Improved quality of life
- Long-lasting results
- Increased range of motion
- Increased mobility
- Make it easy to do daily activities such as walking, climbing stairs, etc.
What to expect after hip replacement surgery?
Here are some things you may expect after hip replacement surgery:
- You may likely stay in the hospital for 3-5 days after surgery.
- You may need to use crutches or a walker for few weeks after surgery.
- You may need to attend physiotherapy sessions to regain range of motion and strength in the hip/perform self exercises.
- You may experience some pain and stiffness after surgery for some days. But it will improve gradually.
- The complete recovery process can take several weeks.
What are the factors affecting the cost of hip replacement surgery?
The cost of hip replacement surgery is affected by several factors including:
- The type of hip replacement surgery whether it is total hip replacement or partial hip replacement
- The type of artificial joint used
- The location and reputation of the hospital where the surgery is performed.
- Complexity of procedure
If you are considering hip replacement surgery near me, it is important to consult the best doctor for hip replacement in Gurgaon regarding the procedure and actual cost of hip replacement surgery in Gurgaon.
What are the risks associated with hip replacement surgery?
Hip replacement surgery is a completely safe surgical procedure but there are some risks associated with it, including:
- Infection at the site of the incision or around the artificial joint
- Blood clots
- Nerve damage
- Failure of artificial joints
If you are considering hip replacement surgery for your hip-related issues, talk to the best hip replacement surgeon in Gurgaon about the risks and benefits of the procedure.
What care should be taken after hip replacement surgery?
Here are some tips you may consider taking care of after a hip replacement surgery:
- Follow the instructions of your doctor carefully.
- Take proper rest
- Eat a healthy diet
- Stay Hydrated
- Avoid smoking and alcohol
- Get your physical therapy done.
- Take your prescribed medications.
The best hospital for hip replacement surgery in Gurgaon
Miracles Apollo Cradle/Spectra is the best hip replacement hospital in Gurgaon.We have a team of experienced surgeons who are experts in hip replacement surgery.We have performed thousands of joint replacement surgeries including partial and hip replacement in Gurgaon with a proven track record of success.
We use the latest technology in hip replacement surgery to ensure that the surgery is performed as safely and effectively as possible.Our comfortable facilities are designed to make the patient's stay as pleasant as possible.Our staff is dedicated to providing patients with the best possible care before, during, and after surgical procedures.
If you are considering hip replacement surgery,it's important to consider all the factors that are important for the hospital to be the best hospital for hip replacement in Gurgaon.
Hip replacement surgery is used to treat a variety of conditions that can cause pain and stiffness in the hip joint, including:
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- Avascular necrosis
- Hip fracture
- Hip dysplasia
The recovery time for hip replacement surgery varies from person to person.The complete recovery process may take several months.It's good to consult your doctor regarding your recovery process.
Yes, hip replacement surgery is safe but it can cause some effects such as Infection at the site of the incision or around the artificial joint, Blood clots,Nerve damage, Failure of artificial joints, etc.