Total Knee Replacement
Knee Replacement vs Knee Resurfacing
Knee Replacement is a surgical procedure to replace the weight-bearing surfaces of the knee joint with artificial ones to relieve pain and disability. It is also known as knee arthroplasty. It is typically recommended when the pain in the knee joint is not diminished by other treatment techniques such as physical therapy, medication, or injections. Knee replacement surgeries are of two types Partial Knee Replacement and Total Knee Replacement.
Why is Knee Replacement Required?
Knee replacement is required when the knee joint has become damaged and no longer functions properly. This situation occurs in a variety of conditions. Here are some conditions that require knee replacement:
- Osteoarthritis: OA is one of the most common causes of knee replacement surgery. Knee OA causes the cartilage in the knee joint to break down over time.
- Rheumatoid Arthritis: Rheumatoid Arthritis(RA)is an autoimmune disorder. It causes inflammation in one or more than one joints. RA damages the cartilage in the knee joint and causes pain and disability.
- Post-Traumatic Arthritis: This is a type of arthritis that usually occurs after an injury to the knee joint. The knee injury damages the cartilage in the knee joint and leads to pain and disability.
- Avascular Necrosis: This is a condition that occurs when an interruption occurs in the blood supply to the bone. Avascular necrosis causes damage to the bone in the knee joint and leads to pain and disability.
Here are some symptoms that may indicate that you need knee replacement surgery:
- Knee pain that becomes better with rest and worse with activity.
- Stiffness in Knee.
- A feeling of pain and difficulty getting up and down from the chair, walking, or climbing stairs.
- A feeling of unstable knee.
- A popping or clicking sound in the knee.
- Persistent swelling in the knee.
If you are experiencing any of the above-mentioned symptoms or conditions, it is important to consult the knee replacement surgery specialist in Gurgaon to diagnose the condition and discuss whether you require knee replacement surgery.
How is Knee Replacement Surgery Done?
Knee replacement surgery is performed under the guidance of a knee replacement specialist.
Here is a step-by-step guide to the knee replacement surgical procedure:
- For the procedure of knee replacement, you will be given regional anesthesia to make you numb during the procedure.
- The knee replacement specialist will make an incision in the front of your affected knee and move your kneecap to the side. After that, he will remove the damaged cartilage and bone from the knee joint.
- The surgeon will attach the artificial knee joint which is made up of three parts: A highly polished metal alloy cap covering the end of the thigh bone & similar cap to cover the end of the leg bone along with a
- Once the knee joint is replaced with an artificial one, the surgeon will close the incision and cover it with a dressing.
- The knee replacement surgery usually takes 40 minutes.
It is important to ask the knee replacement specialist regarding the knee replacement recovery time and success rate before undergoing a surgical procedure.
How to prepare yourself for Knee Replacement Surgery?
Here are various small changes you may need to make in your life to prepare for the surgical procedure of knee replacement:
If you are overweight, then lose your weight.
- Eat a healthy diet.
- Stop smoking and drinking alcohol.
- Get your knee physiotherapy done or self-exercise before undergoing a surgical procedure to strengthen your muscles and improve your range of motion.
- Inform your doctor about your prescribed medications.
Aside from these instructions, here are some specific things you may need to do before your knee replacement surgery:
- Blood test
- Physical Examination
- Chest X-ray
For any query regarding what to expect before the knee replacement surgery, feel free to contact the specialist for knee replacement surgery near you.
Who is the right candidate for Knee Replacement Surgery?
The right candidate for knee replacement surgery has severe pain and disability in his knee that is not relieved by other treatments, such as physiotherapy, medication, or injections.
Here are some of the factors that knee replacement specialists will consider to confirm whether you are a good candidate for knee replacement surgery or not:
- It is usually performed on patients with an age of 50 years or more. In the case of young people, it is recommended in the case of severe knee injury or disability.
- If you have tried other techniques for pain management.
- If you are overall in good health but only having problems in your knee joint.
- If you don't have any contraindicating conditions.
Here are some conditions that make you the right candidate for knee replacement surgery:
- Chronic knee pain
- Stiffness in the knee
- Difficulty walking
- Difficulty climbing stairs
- Difficulty getting up and down
- Unstable knee
- A popping sound in the knee
- A limp
If you are suffering from all or any of the above-mentioned conditions and to be sure whether you need knee replacement surgery, contact the best surgeon for total knee replacement in Gurgaon without any delay.
What are the advantages of Knee Replacement Surgery?
If you have problems with your knee joints such as knee pain, stiffness, loss of stability, etc. then the doctor may recommend you for knee replacement surgery.
There are several advantages to knee replacement surgery including:
- Reduced Pain
- Reduced Disability
- Improved Range of Motion
- Improved Quality of Life
What to Expect After Knee Replacement Surgery?
Here are some general things you may expect after Knee Replacement Surgery:
- Hospital stay for one to two days after surgery.
- You may need to use a walker for a few weeks.
- You will experience mild pain, which will be managed with medication.
- You will need to do physiotherapy sessions or self-exercises to regain your strength and range of motion.
What are the factors affecting the cost of Knee Replacement Surgery?
There are several factors affecting the cost of knee replacement surgery including:
- Type of surgery (Partial Knee Replacement or Total Knee Replacement)
- Technique used
- Location and Reputation of the hospital/surgeon
- The type of implant used
If you are considering knee replacement surgery from the best knee replacement hospital in Gurgaon, it's good to discuss with the knee replacement specialist and get an estimate of knee surgery cost in Gurgaon.
What are the risks associated with Knee Replacement Surgery?
Knee replacement is a major surgery. Generally, it is a safe procedure but there are some risks associated with Knee replacement surgery such as:
- Infection at the site of surgery
- Blood clots
- Damage to the nerves
- Allergic reaction
What care should be taken after Knee Replacement Surgery?
The recovery of knee replacement begins after the procedure. Here are some extra precautions that you may take to reduce the knee replacement recovery time such as:
- Take Rest
- Avoid Jerky Movements.
- Take prescribed medications
- Do physiotherapy exercises regularly
- Be patient
The best hospital for Knee Replacement Surgery in Gurgaon
Miracles Apollo Cradle/ Spectra is the best hospital for knee replacement surgery in Gurgaon with a proven track record. We have a dedicated department of joint replacement which is well-equipped with advanced techniques and state-of-the-art technology. We have a team of highly experienced knee replacement specialists to provide complete care to address the common as well as the rarest complications while evaluating knee conditions.
At our hospital, We have a fully equipped diagnostic center for early and timely diagnosis of the condition. We use advanced technology for fast and accurate diagnosis of the medical condition. To deliver the best clinical outcomes and increase the quality of life of the patients, we follow world-class protocols. We have delivered the finest care in dealing with cases of accident, trauma, fractures, and knee joint replacement with a high knee replacement success rate, making us one of the best hospitals for total knee replacement in Gurgaon.
Knee replacement surgery can be performed to treat a variety of conditions such as:
- Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Post-traumatic Arthritis
- Patellofemoral pain syndrome
- Avascular necrosis
The recovery time for knee replacement surgery varies from person to person. Most people return to normal activities within a few months of the procedure. However, it may take up to 6 months for you to fully recover from surgery.
Yes, knee replacement surgery is safe if the patient selection is good, the technique used is advanced and the surgeon is trained. but here are some risks associated with knee replacement surgery, including infection, blood clots, nerve damage, and allergic reactions. The incidence of complications at our center is way below the international average.
We believe in the philosophy of minimal damage to natural structures. Our surgeon uses a midvastus or subvastus approach, where muscles are not incised or damaged to access the joint. Also, we use a cruciate retaining implant’ to perform knee resurfacing rather than a total knee replacement. If the joint on your knee walls is old and damaged, you can’t build a new wall, similarly, we scrape off the old cartilage and put on a metallic while preserving the original bone, cruciate ligament, and the blood vessels in it.
All this is done to ensure minimal damage and faster recovery. Most of our patients can climb stairs up and down on day 3 or 4 of surgery.