Surgery will be done under regional anaesthesia, general anaesthesia or local anaesthesia with monitored sedation.Depending on the medical history, surgeon will decide whether to go for open or laparoscopic surgery.
Procedure for open surgery:
- After the operative site is cleaned, 3 to 4 cm long incision is made.
- The surgeon places the intestine or other tissues inside the hernia sac back into the abdominal cavity.
- The defect in the abdominal wall is repaired either by sewing the abdominal tissues using sutures (herniorraphy) or by attaching a mesh over the weak area (hernioplasty).
- In the end, the incision is closed with stitches or staples and surgical tape.
Procedure for laparoscopic surgery:
- Surgeon makes several very small incisions-one incision about 1.5 cm long is made below the belly button, and two incisions about 0.5 cm long on the sides of the main incision.
- After inflating the abdomen using carbon dioxide gas,surgeon would pass the laparoscopic instruments into the abdomen through the incisions.
- Then the hernia is repaired with a mesh.
- After completion of repair, skin is sealed with the stitches or surgical glue.