When there are possible difficulties that might impact the woman, the baby, or both, a pregnancy is termed high-risk. A High Risk Pregnancy indicates that more attention is required to ensure a safe and healthy pregnancy and birth. To limit the risk of problems, these pregnancies must be closely monitored. USG in pregnancy conditions is helpful to keep track of fetal development at regular intervals.
Learn about the risks of high-risk pregnancy:
- Maternal age has advanced: Mothers above the age of 35 have greater chances of having a High Risk Pregnancy.
- Choices in lifestyle—Smoking, consuming alcohol, and taking illicit substances can all endanger a pregnancy.
- Pre-existing medical issues: Miscarriage and associated complications are more likely in those who have high blood pressure, diabetes, pulmonary, kidney, or cardiac issues, or immunological or venereal diseases and other disorders.
- Co-occurring medical issues: Problems such as high blood pressure or gestational diabetes can prove to be deleterious or deadly to the pregnant mother or her fetus. Gestational diabetes may occur during pregnancy but usually resolves itself after childbirth. Women over 25 years of age may develop this disorder if they are obese, have a family history of diabetes, or have had a particularly large baby in the past.
- Pregnancy-related complications: Certain illnesses, a shorter cervix, or a preceding premature birth can put the pregnant mother and her fetus at risk for early labor.
- Placenta previa: This disorder produces profuse bleeding, particularly while a woman is having contractions. A cesarean section might be recommended to reduce the danger of hemorrhage.
- Depression: Depression in pregnant women can lead to premature delivery, low birth weight, and an increased risk of cesarean section.
- Blood problems – These comprise sickle-cell diseases that may result in issues like urinary tract infections, fetal loss, premature labor, and restricted intrauterine growth.
USG in Pregnancy looks at the fetal tone, respiration, movement, and the level of amniotic fluid. You may be referred to a perinatologist (a maternal-fetal medicine specialist) if your pregnancy is deemed high-risk. Miracles Healthcare is a reputed multispecialty hospital in Gurgaon that specializes in high-risk pregnancies and deliveries. Visit us for top-notch treatments and state-of-the-art facilities.