Types of hernia and what are the treatment options?
Internal organs bulge and come out through a weak spot in your muscle or tissue when you have a hernia. It may come in association with pain and obstruction in the bowel and could include indigestion, chest pain, heartburn etc. So, if you ever observe any of these symptoms, don't wait long! Visit the best hernia surgeon for the best treatment.
Hernia can be of many types; the common amongst them are:
- Inguinal hernia: When the intestine obtrudes the abdominal wall or the inguinal canal in the groin, it causes an inguinal hernia. It is common in men though women are no exception.
- Femoral hernia: This type of hernia is familiar in older women. It occurs when the intestine enters the groin at the top of the inner thigh.
- Hiatal hernia: When a part of the stomach pushes up through the diaphragm into the chest cavity, it causes a hiatal hernia.
- Umbilical hernia: Commonly seen in newborns, umbilical hernia happens when fatty tissue or a part of the bowel protrudes through the abdomen near the belly button.
When you consult an experienced and reputed hernia surgeon, they will treat your hernia with either laparoscopic or open hernia surgery. Below they are:
- Laparoscopic Surgery: Here, the surgeon makes an incision at the location of your hernia. He then pushes back the protruding tissue to its place and stitches the muscle wall together.
- Open Surgery: In this kind of hernia operation, the surgeon cuts at your hernia location. He pushes the obtruding tissue back in its place and stitches the muscle wall together. Sometimes a type of mesh is implanted in the area to provide extra support.
Which surgery is better Open hernia or laparoscopic?
Both surgeries are good; go for the one which your doctor suggests.
How deep is the incision made on open hernia surgery?
The incision made in open hernia surgery is 3 to 4 cm long.
Is the mesh used in laparoscopic surgery?
Yes, in laparoscopic surgery, the mesh is used.
Hernias will not recover on its own unless you have a hernia operation. Reach out to Miracles Healthcare, one of the prestigious hospitals in the country. Their empathetic and highly knowledgeable surgeons will provide the best treatment to cure your hernia.