Haemorrhoids (piles)- a common disorder
Haemorrhoids, also known as piles, are swellings containing enlarged blood vessels that are found inside or around the anus. In many cases, haemorrhoids don’t cause symptoms, and some people don’t even realize they have them. Bright red blood on stools or toilet paper is often the first symptom of haemorrhoids, which are usually painless. Bleeding as drops of blood or a jet also occurs as a symptom.
Prolapsed haemorrhoids are a mass protruding from anus that may be painful or with itching can be palpated at the time of cleaning after defecation.
Haemorrhoid in beginning is a recurring problem that responds satisfactorily to general measures, but severe and complicated cases require surgical treatment for a cure.
How common are haemorrhoids?
Approximately 50% of adults suffer with haemorrhoids by the age of 50.
What are the general measures to control haemorrhoids?
- High fiber diet – 25 to 30 gms fiber per day.
- Plenty of oral liquid intake – 8 glasses of water daily.
- Elimination of constipating foods such as maida, white bread, cheese etc.
- Regular physical exercise, deep abdominal breathing and yoga. Kegel exercises for pelvic floor muscles also help.
- Respond quickly to the urge to defaecate and avoid straining on the toilet.
- Keep the anal area clean by washing daily with soap and water and dry gently and completely.
- Do not scratch.
- SITZ bath – sitting in warm water for 15-20 minutes twice a day.
What to do if per rectal bleeding is there at the time of defecation?
- If you have rectal bleeding please see you doctor. He/she will perform a rectal examination to diagnose haemorrhoids and rule out other source of bleeding like cancer.
Can haemorrhoid be cured on its own?
- In some people early haemorrhoids can disappear with general measures within few days.
When to see doctor?
- If you have rectal bleeding or piles have come out of anus, then is the time when you can visit the best doctors in Gurgaon or near you.
When have the operation?
- When haemorrhoids are large, bleed, cause pain and itching.