Pregnancy when you have RH negative Blood group

Dr. Saguna is one of the best gynaecologists in Gurgaon and has extensive experience of 18 years in treating cases of high-risk complications in pregnancies like that of Rh factor problem and helped her patients to manage deliveries safely and successfully.

Rh factor and its Incompatibility

Rh factor is a type of protein that is usually found in red blood cells and 85% of people in the world who have this protein are called Rh-positive and the remaining 15% of people who do not have it is called Rh-negative. This protein doesn’t matter much while living a healthy life but it starts causing complications once a woman gets pregnant.

Every pregnant woman gets tested for Rh factor during pregnancy. If the result of the test comes out Rh positive then there is nothing to worry about, but if the test result for the pregnant woman comes out Rh-negative then there might be chances of severe complications during pregnancy if the baby turns out to be Rh-positive. This will result in a situation called Rh factor Incompatibility.

Whenever any pregnant woman tests Rh-negative, then there are chances of the baby being Rh-positive. This mixing of Rh-negative blood of the pregnant woman with the Rh-positive blood of the baby causes complications which may result in damaging the red blood cells of the baby. This causes harm to the developing baby and may also cause anaemia and a range of other problems. The triggering of antibodies are caused due to reasons as given below:

  • Due to miscarriages, terminations, or ectopic pregnancies in the early stages.
  • It may be caused due to trauma to the abdomen.
  • Excessive bleeding may also cause complications.
  • Chorionic villus sampling, Amniocentesis, and other tests that involve the extraction of fluids or cells to be withdrawn from the mother may trigger the antibodies.
  • Blood transfusion or caesarean or vaginal delivery may also cause the triggering of the antibodies.

Prevention of Rh Complications

As one can understand the risks involved in Rh pregnancy, this is where the expertise of one of the best gynae like that of Dr. Saguna becomes important. She has been one of the best gynaecologists in Gurgaon, who has handled numerous successful cases of Rh sensitization and delivery, through her advanced treatment methods. Dr. Saguna advises the following methods of prevention and treatment of Rh factor complications:

  • A blood test at the early onset of pregnancy is vital in the detection of Rh complications between mother and baby.
  • Antibody screening is an advanced method used to detect the development of antibodies.
  • Rh immunoglobulin (RhIg) is another treatment that is often suggested by the best gynae to prevent the pregnant mother from producing antibodies.
  • RhIg can be administered by the doctor even at later stages of pregnancy during the 28th week to prevent sensitization.
  • It is important to inject RhIg during the given pregnancy and after delivery to the baby (if baby is RH +ve) and the mother to prevent sensitization and complications even after giving birth.
  • RhIg doses are important even after delivery if the mother needs to do a blood transfusion or get pregnant again.


Post a comment