Reasons for throat pain - How can it be healed?
The cause of a sore throat or throat pain ranges from mild to moderate health issues like allergies, cold and flu to something as severe as a tumour or cancerous growth. The key to addressing a sore throat is to identify the signs, determining the severity of the condition and see a doctor for proper diagnosis.
Symptoms of Sore Throat
Throat pain or sore throat refers to the dryness, scratchy and painful feeling of the throat. It is one of the most common types of ailments that can be caused by multiple factors.
Types of throat pain:
- Tonsillitis – Redness/swelling of one’s tonsils.
- Pharyngitis – Inflammation at the back of the throat or pharynx.
- Laryngitis – Redness/swelling of the larynx, also known as the voice box.
In either of the above-mentioned conditions the throat feels:
- Burning sensation
- Irritation and rawness
The affected person would feel throat pain while talking or swallowing. In extreme cases, white patches or pus-filled blisters would form around the affected area of the throat (if the throat pain is caused by a virus).
Sore throat or throat is usually followed or accompanied by:
- Cold and sneezing
- Runny nose
- Nasal congestion
- Swollen glands (throat)
- Head and body aches
- Hoarse voice or complete inability to talk
- Loss of appetite
Causes of Sore Throat
- Cold and flu
- Viral infections (Measles, mumps, chickenpox, and likewise including COVID-19)
- Strep throat (infection caused by Streptococcus bacteria)
- Dry air
- Air pollution and smoking
- Neck or throat injury
- GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease)
- Tumour or cancerous growth
Remedies for Healing
Mild to moderate cases can be resolved or at least soothed by the following home remedies:
- Rest the voice and refrain from talking.
- Stay dehydrated, drink lots of warm fluids.
- Gargle for pain relief with a solution of warm water mixed with salt (½ to 1 teaspoon).
- Consume warm liquids to soothe the throat (honey tea, ginger tea, mild soup, warm lemon water, herbal tea, etc.)
- Use a cold-mist humidifier to prevent dry air from affecting your throat.
- Refrain from smoking and drinking.
For severe throat pain and cases of prolonged pain, it is recommended that the patients consult a ENT doctor ASAP.
Are you looking for an experienced physician and specialist for your sore throat condition? Contact at Miracles Mediclinic today and get an appointment to access the best treatment at reasonable medical charges.